Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Mathematics and the Aesthetic

Back a few weeks ago I posted an interdisciplinary proposal for the union of chemistry and political science. On the BBC news site I found another great example of working outside your field of study to enhance understanding and the essential transfer of knowledge (something we're keen on in libraries as you can well imagine). Watch the video The Art of Mathematics at the BBC Link and turn on your speakers for a great commentary by the creator.

You may ask yourself (how did I get here!?) and you may also ask yourself why I'm using a resource from the free and open web. The BBC, as you may or may not have noticed, has no advertising! Their american counterparts (CNN, local newspapers, etc.) all have advertising which could be construed as an editorial influence. I'll let you make the call on that one, but speaking as a librarian, I would say the BBC News services have an excellent editorial balance and are very credible.

1 comment:

? said...

This is superb. A connection between math and aesthetics cannot be clearly established without addressing the opposing popular images of math and art. This is great and I'm reading a book by one of your favourite authors, Mikhail Bulgakov, did you enjoy him?